Probation Officer Salary
Do you think you want to work in the probation sector of the criminal justice field? If so, you may do well as a probation officer. Probation officers have difficult and often dangerous jobs, but they get paid well for their services. Some professionals see probation officer salary rates as high as $100,000 annually, depending on their experience, location, and employer. If you want to make the most money possible in this career, you need to know how different factors influence your pay rates. Here is a look at some of the many factors that could impact your probation officer salary so you can begin calculating your future earnings.
Probation Officer Salary by Years of Experience
The experiences you have as a probation officer will determine what sort of work you get hired for. That work will be one of the biggest influencers with your probation officer pay scale. Listed below are some common salary levels you may hit throughout your career.
- Bottom 10 percentile earned less than $31,210 per year
- The 25 percentile earned around $36,920 per year
- The Annual Median Wage around $47,840 per year
- The 75 percentile earned around $64,810 per year
- The top 10 percentile earned more than $82,140 per year
Probation Officer Salary by Industry
If you have a certain industry in mind for your profession, it may be nice to learn what that will say about your potential earnings. Here is a glimpse into what you might make in different probation officer industries:
- State Government Annual Mean Wage: $52,860
- Local Government Annual Mean Wage: $52,750
- Individual and Family Services Annual Mean Wage: $35,300
- Facilities Support Services Annual Mean Wage: $42,400
- Other Residential Care Facilities Annual Mean Wage: $36,850
- Vocational Rehabilitation Services Annual Mean Wage: $37,700
- Psychiatric and Substance Abuse Hospitals Annual Mean Wage: $49,810
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Facilities Annual Mean Wage: $38,710
Probation Officer Salary by Location
Most people do not think about their location when figuring their probation officer salaries, but this is definitely something to keep in mind. Your salary by location may change in the following way:
- California Annual Mean Wage: $77,230
- Connecticut Annual Mean Wage: $73,180
- New Jersey Annual Mean Wage: $68,870
- New York Annual Mean Wage: $64,900
- Minnesota Annual Mean Wage: $62,570
- Illinois Annual Mean Wage: $62,440
- Iowa Annual Mean Wage: $61,970
- Alaska Annual Mean Wage: $59,210
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition, Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists,
on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/probation-officers-and-correctional-treatment-specialists.htm (visited February 11, 2013).
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Employement and Wages, May 2011, Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes211092.htm (visited February 11, 2013).
Popular Schools and Recommended Degrees
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University now enrolls more than 90,000 students from around the world in its thriving online program. Currently, Liberty University Online has the highest retention and graduation rates of any leading online university.
Everest University Online offers programs in criminal justice, homeland security, business administration, paralegal and many more. With Everest University, you will benefit from career-focused education, distinguished faculty, flexible class schedules, student support and career placement services.
Now knowledge is everywhere, for everyone, making earning your college degree a real possibility. Experience a new way of learning through the innovative online experience at Ashford University, and earn the Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's degree you've always wanted. Your Ashford University experience provides:
Colorado Technical University
Colorado Technical University is an excellent university that prides itself in the support, flexibility and resources it offers its students. Students that attend this school learn all the skills they need to be competitive in the job market.